幸 Sachi さち

1/28/2013 -- Sachi-bunny

Meet Sachi, my new companion. She's a mini-rex rabbit who's currently six weeks old. I decided to call her Sachi (幸, kanji さち, hiragana) on a whim, and I only found out a few minutes ago that her name means happiness, blessing, and fortune in Japanese. Sachiko means "happy child." Lucky pick! 

   


I got her exactly a week ago, which I think is too young for a kit to be adopted. Thing is, I've been searching for a mini-rex rabbit since May last year but the breeders are so scarce that I started to think that I should settle for a Mini Lop instead. 

Just last November, I stumbled upon a breeder in sulit.com.ph who's selling an adult Mini-Rex and I contacted him in case he has some new kits available. The doe he's supposed to be selling gave birth to a litter of three on the 17th of December, after which he contacted me and I told him that I'll be waiting until the kits turn seven weeks old. Come 2013, he started telling me that the kits are ready to be claimed. I argued that they're much too young but then he said that he'll be shipping them to Cartimar as soon as possible if I don't claim my reservation. And so I thought that it's better if I get this baby than have her suffer in a crowded pet shop in Cartimar. I would have adopted all three of them if I only were an experienced rabbit owner.

After doing tons of research overnight in different rabbit breeder websites and forums, we went to Batangas to claim her. Since I was so unprepared, I only had an storage box lines with cloth to put her in, and we had to stop by Tiendesitas to buy her a cage, litter, food bowl, water bottle and pellets. I wasn't able to find any kind of hay that day so I had no choice but to feed her alfalfa sprouts since the breeder told me that she's already eating greens. I do know from my research that bunnies aren't supposed to be fed greens and fruits until they're six months old.


Right now, I'd like to think that she's enjoying her new life with me. Since I live in a small room, I bunny-proofed half of my room and whenever I can supervise her, I let her out of her cage. So far, she's on her way to being litter-trained, with only a few pellet accidents here and there. She also loves nose rubs and bolting around her side of the room. If she doesn't want to be handled, she tells me by running away whenever I try to carry her, but she jumps on my lap whenever she wants to be petted. 

I'm still learning a lot of things hands-on, but right now, I've fallen in love with her.


RABBIT RESOURCES: